Monday, December 22, 2008

Wired House



I live in a wired house. I'd had cat5, speaker and coaxial cable running throughout the house when the house was built in 2003. There was wirless technology at the time, for sure, but it was not as prevalent as it is now. Also, I wasn't sure about the security aspects of the wireless connection at the time. I now have a wireless router and I use wireless connection when I use my laptop even though I still use my wired connection for my main desktop PC. Sometimes I wonder, though, the money I spent for installing the cable may have been a waste. Then, I found this article. The article was written in May 2008, so it's fairly recent. According to the article, the disadvantages of wireless connection are:

  1. Bandwidth limitation

  2. Signal interference

  3. Battery consumption

  4. Reliability problems

  5. Security problems



I think all of the above reasons are reasonable, except may be #4. I'm glad I've found this article.

No comments: